Research Training Support Grant (RTSG)
UBEL funded students are eligible for a Research Training Support Grant (RTSG) within their funded period. This allowance is intended to be used to pay for expenses which the student/supervisor/department deem to be in direct support of a student’s research.
All requests must be approved by UBEL DTP before purchase. Students are expected to make the purchase and then make a claim for reimbursement.
For approval of costs – please email firstname.lastname@example.org, copying in your supervisor.
Costs that may be considered are:
- UK fieldwork expenses
- UK, EU and overseas conferences and summer schools
- language training courses usually undertaken in the UK prior to an overseas fieldwork trip
- reimbursement of interpreters, guides, assistants
- survey costs e.g. printing, stationery, telephone calls
- gifts for local informants
- books and other reading material not available through libraries
RTSG cannot be used to cover living expenses i.e. food and personal items, as your stipend is designed to cover living costs. RTSG can also not be used to cover visas or costs associated with international student travel to and from their home country.
How do I submit a reimbursement claim?
Students from Birkbeck, LSHTM, SOAS and UEL should submit a claims form and RTSG Allowance Record keeping form via email.
Download RTSG reimbursement forms below.