ESRC Studentships Main Competition
The UBEL DTP’s fully funded ESRC studentships cover full payment of tuition fees per year and an annual maintenance stipend.
What’s on offer
- UBEL DTP studentships cover tuition fees at the UKRI rate and an annual maintenance stipend. For 2023/24 an UBEL studentship will cover tuition fees of £4712 and a minimum stipend of £20,622. This figure includes the London Allowance.
- We offer a wide range of disciplinary pathways, in 6 groupings across 6 London institutions. Each pathway provides a range of study routes (+3; 1+3; 2+3 & +4) with MRes, MSc and MA programmes attached and accommodates both full-time and part-time students.
- You should normally have (or expect to achieve by 30 September 2023) an upper second or first class honours degree or a Master’s degree from a recognised UK university, or the equivalent qualification if gained outside the UK.
- For +3, 3.5 or 3.25 award you must normally have (or expect to achieve by 30 September 2023) a Master’s degree with an appropriate level of research training.
- All UKRI studentships are open to both home and international students.
- To be classed as a home student, candidates must meet the following criteria:
- Be a UK National (meeting residency requirements), or Have settled status, or
- Have pre-settled status (meeting residency requirements), or
- Have indefinite leave to remain or enter
- If a candidate does not meet the criteria above, they would be classified as an International student. Please read the UKRI Eligibility guidance document (pdf) for full details on residency requirements.
Guidance for applying
Candidates should make an online application via the Survey Monkey Apply portal. The application will consist of a preliminary form (including a proposed research summary) and equal opportunities information.
References and a full research proposal are not expected at this stage of the competition.
Prospective students should closely read the resources in the “Useful documents” section above, to help complete their application.
Deadlines for 2024 Entry
|27 October 2023||Survey Monkey Apply opens for Preliminary applications|
|Monday 15 January 2024 (23.59pm)||Deadline for Preliminary applications|
|(week commencing) 29th January 2024||– DTP informs candidates of Preliminary outcome
– Full application available to successful candidates
|Monday 4 March 2024 (23.59pm)||Deadline for Full applications|
|(week commencing) 13th May 2024||DTP Board considers studentship applications|
Please note that deadlines for this cycle are slightly later than last year.
The ESRC is introducing a new PhD model from 2024/25. Instead of the traditional three years of funding for a full-time PhD they are adding an extra three months of time (and stipend) to allow extra time for training throughout the PhD. In addition, they will be introducing a placement scheme where students who participate in a placement will receive an extra three months of time (and stipend). This extra funded time would be in addition to the time periods indicated below and apply to all routes (i.e. 1+3, +3, 2+3 and +4, 3.5 and 3.25).
These changes are subject to confirmation of ESRC funding for the UBEL ESRC DTP.