This application window has now closed.
The UBEL DTP invites applications for ESRC-funded PhD Innovation Placements. These placements are intended to provide students with an opportunity to enhance their research skills by undertaking a period of substantive research located in a UK business partner. The objective is to support the growth of a cohort of talented individuals with transferable skills that will aid their mobility between Higher Education and industry sectors, and enhance their employability.
Funding for these placements is open to current students or recently completed PhD graduates (within one year of award) of UBEL DTP member institutions, whether ESRC or non-ESRC funded; and to current UBEL DTP ESRC-funded postdoctoral fellows.
Placements must be within UK business or industry partners.
They must involve substantive user engagement and knowledge exchange activity (e.g. using academic skills to enhance the activities of the organization, as well as acquiring additional skills yourself), focused on carrying out identified, substantive research activity, preferably as part of a single coherent project.
Placements can be for up to 12 months, and must be completed by March 2020.
How to apply
Applications should be made by 16.00 on Monday 14th January 2019, using the PhD Innovation Placements Application Form. They will each be considered individually by the members of the DTP Board using the following criteria:
- How far the placement meets the requirement for genuine research-based knowledge exchange with a business/industry partner
- The likely benefit to the student’s programme of training and/or their broader development
- The capacity of the placement activity to generate identifiable research impact
- Value for money
- The extent to which the activity is likely to lead to further collaboration over time
- Whether this or any future activity may involve an element of co-funding
Applicants will be notified of outcomes by the end of January.