About me: I started my academic career at Marmara University in Istanbul, where I did my first PhD in education, and also obtained a faculty position. I went on a sabbatical at Zurich University in Switzerland during which I realised that a deep understanding of human cognition beyond my background was needed for the new avenues I wanted to explore. Therefore a took an MSc in Educational Neuroscience at Birkbeck, University of London, after which I obtained ESRC funding for my second PhD in the same field at Institute of Education, UCL.
My research: My research aims to explore the developmental trajectory of cognition of causality, the role of spatial-temporal contiguity, probability, and covariation information. I also investigate the predictive power of a number of abilities, such as verbal, non-verbal, and spatial ability.
The difference my research makes: My research pioneers how do we come to know about space and time, and in turn how do space and time aid us to know about causes and effects.
Supervisors: Andrew Tolmie and Anne Schlotmann
- Hesapçıoglu, M. & Dündar, S. (2011). Equality of opportunity in education in Turkey and postmodernism. Turkey: Egitim Bookstore.
-  Turkish name: “Türkiye’de eğitimde fırsat eşitliği ve postmodernizm.”
- Dündar, S. (2012). Scientific theories in education: a festschrift for Muhsin Hesapcioglu. Turkey: Nobel Academic Publishing. 
- Hesapçıoglu, M., Korkmaz, E., Dündar, S., Morhayim, B.G., & Çavus M., (2008). First international alternative education symposium-Darphane-i Amire. Turkey: Nobel Publishing. 
 Turkish name: “Eğitimde bilim teorisi – Prof. Dr. Muhsin Hesapçıoğlu’na armağan.”
 Turkish name: “1. Uluslararası alternatif eğitim sempozyumu- Darphane-i Amire.”
|Chapters in books
- Tolmie, A. & Dündar-Coecke, S. (under review). Coneptual development in science. In M.S.C. Thomas, D. Mareschal, & I. Dumontheil (Eds.), Educational neuroscience: development across the life span.
- Dündar, S. (2012). New science. In S. Dündar (ed.), Scientific theories in education: a festschrift for Muhsin Hesapcioglu (pp. 215-242). Turkey: Nobel Academic Publishing. 
- Ensari, H. & Dündar, S. (2009). Actual developments in education. In S. Oktay (ed.), Turkish education system and school management (pp. 389-429). Turkey: Kriter Publishing.
 Turkish name: “Yeni bilim” in“Eğitimde bilim teorisi – Prof. Dr. Muhsin Hesapçıoğlu’na armağan.”
 Turkish name: “Eğitimde aktuel gelişmeler.”
|Articles in journals
- Dündar-Coecke, S., Tolmie, A., & Schlottmann, A. (submitted). The development of causal reasoning and the role of spatial-temporal ability.
- Thomas, M.S.C. & Dündar-Coecke, S. (in preparation). Developmental computational modeling of the relationship between socio-economic status, the heritability of intelligence, and environmental influences on brain structure.
- Dündar-Coecke, S. (2014). Ramifications of quantum physics for education. Problems of Education In The 21st Century, 58(58): 53-66.
- Dündar, S. (2013). Re-evaluating some of the fundamental educational questions in line with the developments in new physics. Journal of Research in Educational Sciences-JRES, 4(6): 12-48
- Dündar, S. (2013). A comparison study of sensitivity to human rights issues among students in Turkey. University of Minnesota Human Rights Library. http://www1.umn.edu/humanrts/links/hrarticle.pdf [21.05.2013]
- Dündar, S. (2013). Students’ participation to the decision-making process as a tool for democratic school. Educational Sciences: Theory & Practice, 13(2): 867-884.
- Dündar, S. (2013). Training of genius for meritocracy and elitism. International Journal on New Trends in Education and Their Implications – IJONTE, 4(1): 125-137.
- Çetin, M., Dündar, S., & Doğan, A. (2012). Change and innovation: a study to develop a scale for teachers’ attitudes towards change. International Journal of New Trends in Arts, Sports & Science Education, 1(3): 26-38.
- Dündar, S. (2012). An educational glance at aristocracy: transformation of inequalities in postmodernism. Journal of The Hasan Ali Yucel Faculty of Education, 9(2): 85-102.
- Aslan, A.E., Çelebi, N., Akdag, B., Yüksel, M., Canel, N., Imamoglu, S. & Dündar, S. (2009). A study on professional ethic perceptions of teachers and school principals. European Journal of Education Studies, Vol. 1(3): 145-167.
- Hesapçıoglu, M. & Dündar, S. (2009). A classification study for philosophical basis of alternative schools. Marmara University Journal of Education Scineces, 28: 43-56.
 Turkish name: “Aristokrasiye eğitimsel bir bakış: Postmodernizmde eşitsizliğin dönüşümü.”
 Turkish name: “Alternatif okulların felsefi temellerine ilişkin bir kategorizasyon çalışması.”
- Dündar-Coecke, S., & Tolmie, A. (submitted). The outcomes of a short-term intervention program aiming at improving children’s causal awareness. British Psychology Society Annual Conference 2018.
- Dündar-Coecke, S., & Tolmie, A. (accepted, due in 4-6 June, 2018). What skills predict children’s understanding of causal processes? SIG 22: Neuroscience & Education, London, UK.
- Dündar-Coecke, S. (November, 2017). Spatiotemporal vs language skills in causation. 12th International Symposium of Cognition, Logic and Communication “Impact of Visuospatial Skills on Learning”. University of Latvia, Latvia.
- Dündar-Coecke, S. (May, 2017). Language skills and spatial-temporal reasoning in causal thinking: children data. Quantum Group Workshop. University of Oxford, UK.
- Dündar-Coecke, S. (June, 2014). A quest for new quantum words: reasons. Paper presented at the proceedings of the Quantum Mechanics: Logical and Philosophical Approaches. Quantum Theory From Problems to Advances – QTPA. Linnaeus University, Sweden.
- Dündar-Coecke, S. (December, 2013). A quest for new quantum words. Wither Quantum Structures? Quantum Logic In The XXIth Century, CLEA. Brussels, Belgium.
- Çetin, M., Dündar, S. & Doğan, A. (September, 2012). Change and innovation: a study to develop a scale for teachers’ attitudes towards change. New Trends on Global Education Conference GEC. Girne, Cyprus.
- Dündar, S. (May, 2012). From sword aristocracy to gowned aristocracy: new inequality signals in postmodern era. The 1st. International Educational Sociology Symposium. Ankara, Turkey.
- Dündar, S. & Hesapçıoğlu, M. (July, 2011). Giftedness in Turkish educational system in a context of globalization and elite education: an egalitarian model proposal (=pedagogical cooperation). Excellence in Education 2011: Giftedness, Creativity, Development. International Centre for Innovation in Education (ICIE). Istanbul, Turkey
- Ensari, H., Dündar, S., Asan, T. & Parlar, H. (May, 2009). What and why discussions I: a national comparison of education management PhD courses. The 4th National Education Management Congress. Pamukkale, Turkey.
- [Ensari, H., Dündar, S. & Asan, T. (October, 2009). What and why discussions II: an international comparison of education management PhD courses. The 5th International Balkan Education and Science Congress. Edirne, Turkey. 
- Dündar, S. (May, 2007). Ethical leadership. Ethics and Supervising Panel. Istanbul, Turkey
 Turkish name: “Kılıç aristokrasisinden cüppe aristokrasisine: postmodern dönemde yeni eşitsizlik sinyalleri.”
 Turkish name: “Ne ve niçin tartışmaları 1: eğitim yönetimi denetimi ve teftişi ve planlaması ana bilim dalı yüksek lisans ve doktora program içeriklerine ilişkin yurt içi taramayla öneri havuzu oluşturma çalışması.”
 Turkish name of the proceeding is “Eğitim yönetimi ve denetimi ana bilim dalı yüksek lisans ve doktora program içeriklerine ilişkin yurtdışı taramayla öneri havuzu oluşturma çalışması.”
|Book translation (from English to Turkish)
- ‘Strategic thinking (part I and part II)’ in Paul, R. & Elder, L. (eds.), Critical thinking tools for taking charge of your learning and your life, 3rd USA: Pearson Publishing
 Turkish name of the chapter is ‘Stratejik düşünce (kısım I ve kısım II)’ A.E. Aslan, & G. Sart (eds.), Kritik düşünce yaşamınızın ve oğrenmenizin sorumluluğunu ustlenmek için araçlar. Ankara: Nobel Publishing.
Location: Psychology and Human Development, Institute of Education, UCL