We are aware of the concerns you have over the Covid-19 situation. Please be assured that your health and safety are of the utmost importance to us. Given the changing situation with coronavirus and in consultation with ESRC and other DTPs, we have the following information and advice:
For new Difficult Language Training and Overseas Fieldwork funding applications
These are suspended for the time being, and so are OIVs and conference travel.
For those funded for Distance Learning Training (DLT), Overseas International Visits (OIVs) and Overseas Fieldwork (OF) who are currently overseas (and those currently attending an international conference)
- If a student contracts Covid-19 while overseas, UBEL DTP would continue to pay their stipend as per the UKRI sickness absence rule (up to 13 weeks’ sickness absence in any 12 month period).
- Where a student is unable to continue their studies (either their language acquisition or ability to conduct fieldwork, e.g. where the area they are in is on lock-down), UBEL DTP will continue to pay the student’s stipend. If the inability to conduct research or learn the language continues for some time (to be determined on a case-by-case basis), UBEL DTP will consider a request for a funding extension.
Future Overseas Institutional Visits (OIVs) and travel to international conferences (funded via RTSG)
- OIVs are not deemed essential to the success of a studentship in the same way as are Distance Learning Training and Overseas Fieldwork. Nor is it deemed essential travel.
- OIVs will therefore not be awarded until further notice.
Travel to international conferences
- Similarly, travel to international conferences is not deemed essential to the success of a studentship, or essential travel.
- RTSG funding will not be awarded for travel to international conferences until further notice.
We will need to stay updated of any new policies. But please keep an eye on the latest advice from your own intuition as well as that from the government.
If you have further questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact our team on email@example.com