Andy Preston (2019 Cohort)

AP2019

About me: I am currently studying for an MRes in economics at UCL, before moving onto the PhD programme. I completed my undergraduate degree in economics at the University of Exeter in 2017, and then completed an MSc in economics at UCL in 2018. For the last year, I have been working as an Assistant Economist at Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC), where I have been involved in analysis on a wide range of tax-related policy issues.

My research: My research focus lies within the field of macroeconomics primarily. I am particularly interested in how workers and households react to the threat of unemployment by changing their spending and saving decisions. Large scale job losses were a particularly notable feature of the Great Recession, and I am interested in how these operate to worsen economic downturns. More generally, I am interested in the effects of heightened uncertainty on the macroeconomy. This was again highly prevalent during the financial crisis, and has plagued the UK economy following the vote to leave the European Union in 2016. I pay particular attention to uncertainty specific to conditions in the labour market conditions, and the detrimental effects this can have. Finally, I am interested in how machine learning techniques can be used in macroeconomics to address a range of questions.

Supervisors: Prof Franck Portier

Pathway: Economics

Location: UCL Department of Economics

Email: uctpapr@ucl.ac.uk